Miley Cyrus Defends Tearful Kids' Choice Awards Speech

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 |

On Saturday, a teary Miley Cyrus was overcome by emotion while accepting her Favorite FemaleSinger" statuette at the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards. And while fans debate whether the "Hannah Montana" star was too real, too fake or a bit of both worlds, Miley has a message to friends and foes alike: That's the way she is, take it or leave it."I was a little embarrassed," she admitted to us on Monday of her misty-eyed speech. "But then again, I shouldn't be!"It meant something to me," the star of the upcoming "Hannah Montana: The Movie" explained. "Because it's from the kids, and the kids are more important than anything else in the world. So it made me happy."And so, when Dwayne Johnson announced that she had won the award, Miley said the tears began to flow. "Honestly, I didn't think I was going to win it," she remembered of her thoughts at the time. "It just made my day that I did. It means a lot to me."Two days after she took the award home, in fact, Cyrus was still eager to talk about it. "Do you know that at the end of the Kids' Choice Award is a kaleidoscope?" she marveled. "If you look through the end of the Kids' Choice Award, there's a kaleidoscope. True story — it really is!"[And] it's voted on by the kids, which I like. It's just a cool award," the 16-year-old singer/actress went on. "I don't know of any other award that is like that. It's a very unique award."And so, to the haters who think her tears were over-the-top, she was still defiant. "Embarrassing? No, I'm not embarrassed," she said. "I probably would be, but I couldn't help it. I was just really excited."Source: MTV News.